Is the Deluxe Dining Plan a Good Value: A Walt Disney World Dining Plan Review - PassPorter.com
PassPorter.com
Award-winning travel guidebooks
Home Florida - Walt Disney World Caribbean - Disney Cruise Line California - Disneyland Resort Anywhere and Everywhere! Travelers Store Message Boards PassPorter's Club Help!
  About Us  |  Customs Office   |   Register Your Book   |   Book Updates   |  Newsletter  |  Articles  |  Photos  |   Follow Us on
       LINKS

Visit Forum
Read Comments on This Article

Is the Deluxe Dining Plan a Good Value: A Walt Disney World Dining Plan Review

Walt Disney World photo
by Cheryl Pendry, PassPorter Featured Columnist
Last modified 04-03-2014

Cool Tip: Click here to get a FREE PDF version of this article, fully formatted to print and put into your PassPorter Deluxe Binder!

Filed in Articles > Walt Disney World > Dining

"Is the Disney Dining Plan really worth it?"

This is a topic that comes up often in the Feasting and Eateries forum of the PassPorter message boards -- everyone wants to know about the various dining plans Disney offers, and whether they're still good value for money. In particular, I regularly read comments that the Deluxe Dining Plan is no longer worth getting, as you can't make any savings with it. Let's take a closer look!

For anyone not familiar with the Deluxe Dining Plan, it gives you three credits per person per night you stay on Disney property that can be used on either table service or counter service restaurants. Obviously, if you use these credits for table service restaurants, this will give you much better value for money, as they're much more expensive than grabbing a meal from a counter service outlet. You also get a refillable mug that's good for the length of your stay, along with two snack credits per person per night of your stay.

Now for all that, on our most recent visit to Walt Disney World, we paid the grand sum of $684.82 for a three night stay for two adults, which came out to just over $114 per person per night. Bear in mind that we booked this through the Disney Vacation Club, as we’re members and we were staying at a Disney Vacation Club resort using our points, so the price may differ from your experience. However, this is what I'll use for my calculations, as it's what we paid.

One way to make the Deluxe Dining Plan work for you, and ensure you don't have too much food to deal with, is to ensure that your vacation allows you to enjoy food on the first day of your stay, and the last day. That may sound obvious, but think about it. If you arrive early on the first day, and leave late on the last day, you actually get two full extra days, as your credits are good until midnight of the day you check out. We started using the Deluxe Dining Plan on a Thursday morning, and we were still enjoying it on the Sunday evening. Imagine the difference if we'd arrived on a Thursday evening and left on a Sunday morning -- a lot less time to cram all that food in!

Deluxe Dining Plan -- Good Value? photo
Deluxe Dining Plan -- Good Value?

Deluxe Dining Plan -- Good Value? - photo by Jennifer Marx

Another way we make the Deluxe Dining Plan work for us is to have some meals at Signature restaurants, as these take up two credits on the Dining Plan. That allows us to either have a late breakfast or an early lunch, and then use up the day's remaining two credits on a Signature dinner. That works so much better for us, as trust me, we've tried cramming in three table service meals a day, and it wasn't a pleasant experience, as it was far too much food for us. By the time we got to the next meal slot, we really weren't hungry, and we felt we were eating just for the sake of it -- not something I want to go through again.

Having said all that, how did we use up all our credits on our three night stay? In total, we had nine credits each for counter or table service meals to use up, and we had the following meals at the following values:
• Dinner at Monsieur Paul’s in France, Epcot (Signature restaurant) -- using up 2 credits each for food that would have cost $193.97 out-of-pocket. I know, it's appallingly high isn't it? We were shocked by how expensive this meal was, if I'm honest.
• Lunch at Tokyo Dining in Japan, Epcot – using up credit 3, meal valued at $95.00.
• Dinner at Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom – yes, we were lucky enough to snag one of the coveted reservations there for our trip! That used up credit 4, and would have set us back $108.32.
• Lunch at the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom – well, I have to see Eeyore at least once each trip… This used up credit 5, and was one of our cheaper meals, valued at $53.23.
• Dinner at the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort (Signature restaurant), which used up credits 6 and 7, and would have cost $149.57. Yes, I know Monsieur Paul's was more expensive than this. Had someone asked me beforehand, I'd definitely have put the California Grill as more pricey, but apparently not.
• Breakfast at Akerhaus, using up credit 8, would have been a whopping $79.98, just for breakfast. I knew this would be good value on the Dining Plan, but I had no idea just how good a value it would prove to be! Admittedly, you do get a photo package included with this, which may help to explain why it costs so much.
• Dinner at Mama Melrose's used up our final credit 9, and would have cost $85.00.

With all of these meal values, they only take into account what’s actually covered on the Deluxe Dining Plan, otherwise it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Essentially that’s an appetizer, entrée, dessert, and regular soft drink each, with regular sales tax included. You still have to pay for any drinks that aren’t regular soft drinks, and gratuities.

Now to round off the price comparison, we need to add in the cost of refillable mugs, which for two for each of us would’ve been $35.98. Then there were the snack credits. We got two each per day, so that was 12 in total. We used these up mainly at the Food and Wine Festival booths, and some of the items we bought using our snack credits would have been $6 or $7, so that was superb value. However, I didn’t keep a note of every single item we purchased, so in fairness, I decided to opt for a round figure of $4 per item, which I thought seemed reasonable. That then added another $48 to the total.

Where does that leave us? Well, if you remember, we paid $684.82 for the Deluxe Dining Plan for a three-night stay. In four days, on our table service meals, snacks, and refillable mugs, we would have paid a grand total of $849.05, which gave us a total saving of $229.23.

So it’s still possible to save money on the Deluxe Dining Plan, and we didn’t feel that we over-ate during our stay. It’s still something I’d do, but only to dine at Signature restaurants, and only if I knew that we could use the plan for a full day when we arrive, and a full day when we leave, as that’s what works best for us, and ensures that we get full value for money from the plan.

Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace photo
Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace

Desserts on offer at the lunchtime Crystal Palace buffet. - photo by chezp

About the Author:
Cheryl and husband Mark live in England and love to travel, particularly to Disney, and they have made numerous visits to destinations across America and Europe. They recently completed their tour of every Disney theme park around the world, which culminated in their visit to Japan, including the Tokyo Disney Resort. Click here to view more of Cheryl's articles!

Related Links:
Veggie Dining At Disney - Table Service Locations last updated 12/11/2008
Veggie Dining At Disney - Counter Service Locations last updated 12/04/2008
The Kosher Traveler At Walt Disney World - A Guide last updated 02/05/2009
Dining at Walt Disney World - An Introduction last updated 2/5/2009
Yachtsman Steakhouse From a Vegetarian's Point of View - A Dining Review last updated 5/14/2009

Reader Comments:

We always do the Deluxe Dining Plan. We eat 2 credits each evening and 1 in the afternoon. We skip breakfast. It has always been worth it because we love food and sitting down for hours at restaurants. We eat the appetizer, the main meal, and some dessert, so for us its worth every penny.

Kobeychiev on January 12, 2014 @ 3:30 pm
We ALWAYS do the Deluxe Dining Plan (DxDp). Even better if it's free dining time-you just pay the difference between DxDP and DDP. We are foodies and we are not wild about counter service. We usually don't use sit down for nreakfast aside form a couple of character breakfasts but do table service for lunch and dinner. It's pretty much par that we vist most if not all the signatures on each trip. HDDR is one of our favorites. Just make sure if you plan to hit these places that you book 180 days out first thing in the morning- no matter what time of year you are going. Used to be that if it was off season you could get away with late ressies or even walk ups but anymore with free dining during the slower times, it's always tough for ressies. But if you plan well and make your adrs it can be FANTASTIC!!!!!
Just for reference here is where we ate 1 month ago:
Be Our Guest dinner
Coral Reef lunch
Yachtsman's Steakhouse dinner
Le Cellier dinne
Cape May Cafe dinner
plus TONS of snacks

The real thing we enjoy most about the DxDP is the appetizers. I can take or leave dessert but appys are my fav thing. The cheese boards at the signatures are so yummy. Jonah Crab cake at Flying Fish, ANY appy at Via Napoli, the tempura at Teppan Edo...the list goes on and on. Also nice is the 2 snacks per person per day. We frequently use that for breakfast on days where we don't have something set up. A pastry or muffin does me just fine to tide over until lunch-usually scheduled for 11:30-12 on those no-scheduled-breakfast days. Lots of great snacky items in between-my favs are the choc covered strawberries, Starbucks white choc mocha coffee, and egg rolls.
Have a wonderful time!!!!!

Mom of three 1971 on January 12, 2014 @ 4:54 pm
Its ALOT of food....

disneycast89 on January 13, 2014 @ 11:56 am

chezp on January 13, 2014 @ 3:20 pm
chezp;4272788 >We often use the Deluxe Dining Plan, because we like to have an early lunch, then have a signature dinner. Two table service meals for us works perfectly. smiley for :waytogo:

This is how we use the DxDDP pretty much.

We go to WDW only about every five years so we can afford to stay club level. We then eat the club lounge continental breakfast so as to have plenty of credits for 2-cred lunches and dinners.

We have found that appetizer-entree-dessert does get to be a bit much by the end of our stay even with all the touring. If we didn't like so many signatures, we might try doing the lounge breakfast and OOP otherwise. But, we've found that what we want to eat at the signatures often is higher-priced. We also like the freedom and convenience of ordering whatever appeals without concern for what anything costs.

Vacations are pig out times for us, so we use the DxDDP to overindulge joyously. After all, the Disney magic makes everything you eat while there fat-free, calorie-free, etc., right? < sassy wink & grin >

Her Dotness on January 15, 2014 @ 11:00 am
If you are considering several 2 credit meals and you are lucky enough to get free dining, then it very well might be worth it. I would do the math to be sure. The big bonus might be the extra snack credits (see below).

And since no one has answered your food and wine question, snack credits can be used for many of the items at the food kiosks but I don't believe you can book any of the special dining experiences using dining plan credits. I could be wrong though. Any one who knows for sure please chime in.

HollyH on January 15, 2014 @ 11:48 am
Also -you don't say if you will be traveling with kids (I'm guessing yes). One of the tricky things is that while you and hubby are using 2 TS credits each on a special dining experience for the 2 of you, that leaves 2 TS credits per kid that you won't be using. So you'll either have to not use those credits or book other meals where you and hubby will have to pay OOP. You can't send kids into a restaurant by themselves smiley for ;). Of course with deluxe dining, you have the option to use those credits at QS locations which might work. I would figure that into your calculations to see what will work best for you.

HollyH on January 15, 2014 @ 11:59 am
I find the DxDP to be fantastic for hubby and I. He enjoys going to WDW for the food and he likes having the breaks from walking around during the day without having to worry about eating while walking or finding a table near some of the QS places we have tried. It is a LOT of food though when you eat three times a day like we do most days. However, it let us go to places we would not otherwise have been able to afford on the basic dining plan... Like Le Cellier... And CRT... Planning it out is the hard part.

For my mom, it drives her crazy doing the DxDP. she feels like all she is doing is going to the next reservation. The flipside is, dealing with her food allergies was fantastic at all the table service places. We got to meet many a chef!

It all depends on priorities. Mom left all the reservations to me for that reason. She couldn't wrap her head around splitting up the day right. But those suggestions to do more of the signature meals is fantastic too and just doing two meals and using more of the snack credits in a day.

But getting the upgrade for the DxDP during free dining time is the best. It worked out to like 70 a day per person taking in consideration we stayed at POFQ. And at the restaurants we were going to eat at... It was a better idea for us cost wise.

And yes! You can use the credits for the food and wine festival. DH and I had the opportunity to do so and it let us use snack credits for the kiosk things and it was awesome.

Chipmunks725 on January 15, 2014 @ 10:26 pm
As other have said it is a lot of food. I go every year for the food and wine fest and for me the best part is eating from the food booths. That pretty much fills me up the where most days I do not do any other dinner because I am full from trying the different foods from the booths. If you are big eaters and like to do 3 full meals a day plus eat good size snacks then the deluxe would be good for you. For me, there would be no way that I can eat that much for it to be worth the price. If you have kids with you then I would say not to get it since they will not have the patience to sit at all of these meals.

feonag on January 16, 2014 @ 9:48 am

This is what I would do if we were travelling as adults with no children. I wouldn't do this with my kids because they really are not fans of the signatures but for an adult trip I would do a late breakfast and a nice dinner every day.

Thomhazel on January 16, 2014 @ 11:26 am
If I could afford it or got it with free dining upgrade, I would definitely get the deluxe plan. I think it's nice being able to do character meals, or dinner show without sacrificing a dinner or having to pay out of pocket.

patclairesmom on January 17, 2014 @ 8:01 am
I just did the math for 4 adults - it works out about even if you plan to eat everything. But, given I doubt we will eat an appetizer, main course, and dessert at every meal for 3 nights - and taking into account a 10% discount for some restaurants for DVC members or AP holders, it's probably cheaper to go OOP.

But then, it would be nice to have it paid for in advance, and an upgrade to free dining may also make it more attractive.

shazza on January 17, 2014 @ 8:57 am
We tried it once and found it to be too much food for us. We couldn't do an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert all in one sitting. Disney portions are large. I can only imagine the calorie counts. It also takes up a good amount of your park time. I know that no one wants to think about their health on vacation, but it is a consideration.

JoanneS on January 17, 2014 @ 9:25 am

First off, we both loved the Deluxe Plan...a lot. But we did end up having too much food in front of us every meal. I wouldn't call us light eaters, but often times we couldn't finish out main dish, leaving almost no room for dessert.

I think where you stay plays a big part into which plan works. When we stayed at The Poly, the regular plan was perfect (Thanks to Capt. Cooks). But when we stayed at the Beach Club, it was harder to use because we didn't love the quick service options at The Beach Club (and it seemed the Boardwalk dealt mostly in snacks).

So we tried the Deluxe, and I think next time we will skip it. I actually wish there was a FastPass+ type option for the meals. I would love to add more snacks to my credits for the Boardwalk, plus the Wine and Food fest.

:hatplus:

Cactus19 on April 5, 2014 @ 11:57 pm
We've always done the DxDP. We find it to be worth it. We're adventurous eaters and at least once a day we eat at a signature restaurant.
I can honestly say that I've eaten at a CS 2 times in all the trips to WDW we've taken. Those two times, they were good - but I like to sit and relax for dinner, talking to and connecting with those I'm with.
If you get free dining and paying to upgrade works, I say go for it.
We usually eat either a late breakfast or an early lunch (1 credit), and then a fairly late dinner (2 credits). We use the snacks to fill in the gaps.
If it's summer, it's too hot to eat 3 times a day!

Teresa on April 6, 2014 @ 12:32 am
Cactus19;4311817 >My wife and I were lucky enough to try the Deluxe Plan in October 2013. The two previous visits we had done the regular dining plan.

:hatplus:

Hi and welcome to the boards! :wave: I think you're right about your resort does play a huge part in how well the Dining Plans work for you. We usually do the Deluxe Plan and try and do it when we're at the Beach Club or one of the Magic Kingdom resorts, as that's where most of the signature restaurants are. smiley for :waytogo:

chezp on April 6, 2014 @ 3:29 am
Whether or not the Deluxe is a good value depends entirely upon how a given family likes to eat.

If meat-potatoes-veggie-dessert or burger-and-fries are your style, then the regular DDP is probably all you actually need, applying your 1 snack credit on a light breakfast or breakfasting in your room.

But for those of us who argue over too much or too little foreign vs. American comfort food and what signatures we cannot miss along with what ones we must try, the Deluxe is absolutely the best choice. Those for whom where to eat is almost a bigger concern than which-park-when will also be most satisfied with the Deluxe, I think.

As for its being too much food, who says you can't leave half of the too-large portions served at most Disney restaurants? I eat some but not all of many courses and feel not the least bit obliged to eat more than I want just because Mom always said I had to clean my plate or no dessert.

We deliberately don't go to Disney so often that we must cut corners. Going infrequently leaves us able to splurge, and as a result we simply don't care whether or not the Deluxe is the best value for our money. We can order whatever appeals without concern about the cost and feel ever so pampered. That alone makes the Deluxe well worth its cost for us.

Her Dotness on April 6, 2014 @ 4:15 am
I have to say that I no longer think the regular dining plan is worth paying for, but if you have free dining and upgrade to the deluxe plan (which yes you can) I think it's a fabulous deal!
We have used the DXDP this way: use a snack for early breakfast--a bagel or such at the resort
Have a late breakfast or early lunch at a nice sit down restaurant (or an expensive buffet)
Go to one of the Signature Dining locations for dinner!
We have also skipped one SD location so that we could have sit down lunch on our last day--your dining credits are based on nights stayed so either your first day or your last day might be missing a meal!

ilovedisney247 on April 6, 2014 @ 5:01 am
We have gone 3 times are each time we used the Deluxe plan. The first time it was with teenage boys and with did a couple of Signature dinning (Hoop-De-Do & Le Cellier). The thing I loved the most was the snacks. We didn't use all of them so we brought a lot home with us.

The last two time was just my husband and I and Signature dining for dinner was all we did. Lunch was early and dinner was late. We loved it.

Laura

Habsmom on April 20, 2014 @ 8:52 am
We have tried the plan, but found that it doesn't satisfy my kids, 16 and 10, who are picky eaters. Its a lot of food that goes to waste. I won't be purchasing again.

bash1130 on April 20, 2014 @ 9:56 pm
I have always wanted to do the deluxe plan, but I always chicken out over the money. If we get free dining this time around, we may go ahead and pay for the updgrade.

DKA041177 on April 22, 2014 @ 8:08 am
Question about upgrading....
If I have already paid for the regular dining plan, & am lucky enough to be able to get FREE dining, do they need to do the upgrade immediately or do I have time to decide & can upgrade later? My trip is already paid in full, with the basic dining plan. So I'm guessing if I do get free dining, they will automatically refund the difference to my card unless I tell my TA that I want to upgrade right away if I can get free dining.
And considering it's almost time for me to make my ADR's.... I will have to make them based on basic dining. Which means if I do get free dining & decide to upgrade, I will be changing most of the meals around. LOL.

pixeedusty on April 27, 2014 @ 3:12 am
I currently have free dining, I booked on a bounce back offer but I was interested to see how much it would cost to upgrade to Deluxe & for 3 adults (my 10 yr old is considered an adult) it's an additional $1,110.72.

No thanks! Free dining sounds delicious enough!

PhilsEagles08 on April 27, 2014 @ 9:15 am
pixeedusty;4320460 >Question about upgrading....

JackieB on April 27, 2014 @ 10:17 am
JackieB;4320526 >Don't assume they will automatically refund your money if they offer free dining. If you go through a TA call them and they will get in touch with Disney for a refund.

Disney will NOT automatically refund you money if they offer free dining. The OP will have to cancel her current reservation and rebook with a free dining offer. Availability for FD is limited and it could be possible to have to change resorts to take advantage of the offer (if it ever comes out). I believe you would have some time to consider whether or not you want to upgrade the dining plan to deluxe (i.e you could do so later, not at your initial booking).

HollyH on April 27, 2014 @ 11:21 am
I do understand all the difficulties involved with attempting to get it, which is why I want to be prepared ahead of time with all the "details" so I don't have my poor TA call & actually get it, and then have me tell her that I want to upgrade later & find out I had to do it when they applied the Free Dining.
Hope that made more sense.

pixeedusty on April 28, 2014 @ 1:07 am
pixeedusty;4320869 >yeah, I guess I was confusing when I wrote that,.... I didn't mean just b/c Disney OFFERS free dining that I would get a refund, I meant if I was lucky enough to actually GET it (through my travel agent), if during that process they would automatically refund my card.

Hope that made more sense.

I would ask your TA if you can upgrade to deluxe later or if you need to do so with your initial FD booking, just to be sure.

HollyH on April 28, 2014 @ 6:06 am
so I emailed my TA & this was her response:
If free dining becomes available for your dates I would automatically apply it for you. You could pay the difference and upgrade to deluxe dining later should you choose to do so.
just FYI... in case anyone else wanted to know.

pixeedusty on April 30, 2014 @ 6:31 am
We have used deluxe dinning and I have to say we felt like we spent so much time eating that we did not enjoy it. The food was great and we were able to try some wonderful new places, but it took a lot of time out of our park days. With young kids they were not very happy. I think I would only try it again when it was just adults and I did not have a Tables in Wonderland card to offset the price.

jlhill4444 on April 30, 2014 @ 8:11 pm
View all 29 comments in forum thread

So what do you think? Click here to share your comments, feedback, and experiences on this article and topic!

(Note: You must be a member of our PassPorter Message Board Community to leave comments. Join today for free!)

Updated 04-03-2014 - Article #1066

Read additional articles from PassPorter.com

Subscribe to our free e-mail newsletter, PassPorter News, published for more than 58,000 opt-in subscribers worldwide. As an added bonus for subscribing, you will receive a 20% discount coupon for the PassPorter Store -- no catch!

E-mail Address:

First Name:

E-mail Format:
-Text/Don't Know

-HTML

We respect your privacy and never sell or rent our subscriber list. Subscribing will not result in more spam! We guarantee it.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button