The Disney Dream: My Experiences Onboard the Christening Cruise and Maiden Voyage

by Jennifer Marx, PassPorter Guidebooks Author
Last modified 01-10-2011

Photo illustrating Disney Cruise Line - Cruising

What's more exciting than a Disney cruise? Being one of the very first guests aboard a brand new Disney ship! And that's just what I have the privilege of doing when I sail aboard the Christening Cruise (January 19-21, 2001) and the Inaugural Maiden Voyage (January 26-30, 2011). I will be documenting my adventures through video, photos, and notes, all of which can be found in this article. So please sail along with me as I discover the Disney Dream!

Disney Dream At Sea photo
Disney Dream At Sea

The beautiful Disney Dream at sea, taken on its voyage across the Atlantic to its home in Port Canaveral.

Christening Cruise Dates: January 19-21, 2011
Stateroom: 7022 (deluxe oceanview with verandah)
Focus: Traveling with a child
Highlights: Christening ceremony, kids clubs and activities

Maiden Voyage Cruise Dates: January 26-30, 2011
Stateroom: 7512 (family oceanview)
Focus: Research for PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line guidebook, answering questions from readers, gathering photos and videos, seeing friends
Highlights: Remy dinner, Palo brunch/tea/dinner

My Disney Dream Cruise Photos:

January 7, 2011 - I'm now less than two weeks away from seeing the Disney Dream in person, and I'm getting excited. I feel very lucky to be able to sail on both the christening cruise (first media cruise) AND the maiden voyage (first public cruise). I'm not aware of anyone else doing this! Also, I will be experiencing the ship in several different ways through these cruises -- as a mom, as a PassPorter author, and as a friend. I will have my 6-year-old son Alexander along for the christening cruise, so I'll be able to share his impressions (and my own thoughts about having him along). On the maiden voyage, I'll be sailing primarily for research, but I'll also be with friends, so I'll be able to speak from those points of view as well.I want to be sure to share this once-in-a-lifetime experience with anyone interested.

Staterooms have already been assigned for my cruises. I'll be in stateroom 7022 (a deluxe oceanview with verandah) for the christening, and in stateroom 7512 (a family oceanview) for the maiden voyage. And I expect to be able to tour other stateroom categories as well!

January 10, 2011 - Excitement is mounting! Alexander shows off the beautiful invitation we received to the Christening Cruise in this video:

January 11, 2011 - We've begun packing for our cruise. Here's a video of Alexander packing "very important things" that other kids might find useful on their own cruises:

January 15, 2011 - Today Mickey Mouse called us to say how much he was looking forward to seeing us on the Disney Dream! Alexander loved it, and so did I! What he doesn't know is that I used Disney's free Character Call service to pre-arrange a call today. And I managed to record it, so you can see Alexander's reaction to the call. I've included directions on how to get your own free character call in the video, too!

January 17, 2011 - Preparations continue -- we have just two days before we depart! I posted a very long list of questions that I plan to find answers for while onboard my cruises. And this morning we measured Alexander to see if he meets the height requirement for the AquaDuck (48"), and he does -- he's just shy of 50"!

Disney Dream Reference Card - Download it to use on your own Dream cruise at http://www.passporter.com/dcl/passporter-dream-reference.pdf. Just print it on a sheet of paper (front and back), cut it in half length-wise, then fold it over -- it will fit inside a PassHolder Pouch (though you may need to trim a bit on the sides).

January 19, 2011 at 9:00 am - We've arrived in Orlando and as I type this we're on our way to the port and the Disney Dream! It's a beautiful day and I plan to upload plenty of photos and videos (batteries willing, of course). Watch my photo and video streams for our progress!

January 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm - Wow, what a day! The Christening Ceremony was just spectacular and the ship is gorgeous. The day went by in a blur, to be honest, and both Alexander and I are exhausted (he's in bed, drifting off to sleep to the gentle rocking the Dream). We ate lunch at Enchanted Garden, then registered for the Kids Club, did the Safety Drill (we didn't have to wear lifejackets!), then checked out the very cool Midship Detective Agency (Alexander LOVES it). We had dinner at Animator's Palate, but by that point Alexander was wilting, and it was back to the stateroom. Castaway Cay is tomorrow.

Watch for more updates as I get aboard the Disney Dream. I will be uploading videos to YouTube, too! Be sure to subscribe to PassPorter's YouTube channel to see the latest.

About the Author:
Jennifer Marx is the author of more than 50 books focusing on Disney, including PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line and its Ports of Call. She's been on more than 15 Disney cruises from 1999-2011.

Recent Disney Cruise Line Articles:

Alaska Cruise Lessons Learned

A Disney Cruise Line Review

Reader Comments:

I can't wait to hear everything about the Dream! :thewave: :thewave:

chezp on January 7, 2011 @ 1:34 pm
blank
I am sailing on the Magic January 15 - 22, 2011. Can anyone tell me if the Dream ship will be in port @ the same time we are?

Lmf713 on January 7, 2011 @ 9:51 pm
blank
Jennifer, can't wait to hear about your trips.

bwheat2004 on January 7, 2011 @ 10:36 pm
blank
I will also be on the Christening Cruise! Can't wait to see you there!

Splendiferous_fan on January 8, 2011 @ 5:56 pm
blank
Can't wait to read all about it!

emvenable77 on January 8, 2011 @ 6:11 pm
blank
SO EXCITED FOR YOU! I can't wait to hear all about the ship and your cruises. It may just push my husband and I over the edge to take the plunge ourselves and book a cruise on The Dreamsmiley for :)

mahons99 on January 9, 2011 @ 3:14 pm
blank
Thank you so much for doing this! I'm so excited to hear all about it. We chose the Dream to be our very first cruise experience (June 2012) and we are so excited!

Have a wonderful time!

Pixar Pixie on January 9, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Jennifer Marx on January 10, 2011 @ 7:38 pm
How cool! smiley for :waytogo:

chezp on January 11, 2011 @ 1:27 am
blank
That video is so cute!!!

Your staterooms are very near ours, so I cannot wait to see the videos of them. Not much longer now!!

Wendyismyname on January 11, 2011 @ 7:23 am
blank
OMG, Jennifer, Alexander is getting so big!I can't believe how time goes by so fast.

I can't wait to read you TR and view all of your pics! smiley for :)

Disneydiana on January 11, 2011 @ 9:25 am
blank
Yay! Can't wait to hear (& see) all about the Dream!

mpwife153 on January 11, 2011 @ 11:17 am
blank
Can't wait to hear!! We might be going on the Disney Dream Aug. 2012!!

dwonderz on January 13, 2011 @ 5:20 pm
blank
We will be on the maiden voyage as well.... getting excited! Hope to see you there!!

sparkypluto on January 13, 2011 @ 10:23 pm
blank
My daughter and I will be sailing on The Dream on February 24. We both know The Magic inside and out ( 8 cruises) so we can't wait to learn everything about The Dream from you before we sail.

clwalicki on January 17, 2011 @ 1:29 pm
blank
Kyra and I just watched the videos. How fun. Thanks for sharing. We really enjoyed Alexander's tutorials. Have a blast!!!

F.Frazine on January 17, 2011 @ 7:02 pm
blank
I'd like to know why 2 staterooms?

Lilianna on January 19, 2011 @ 11:04 am
blank
We have a deluxe ocean view with a veranda booked for the 4 nights in April and we can't wait. Looking forward to all your info to help us along.

RedSox Mickey on January 19, 2011 @ 3:29 pm
blank
Can't wait for more updates. We just booked a 3 night cruise for Nov/11. Sooo Exciting!!

jwnandsn on January 19, 2011 @ 3:29 pm
blank
So awesome, Jennifer!! I guess you are back from the Christening Cruise. Can't wait to hear all about it!

BettyBeBop on January 21, 2011 @ 8:41 am
blank
I'm so eager to hear about the Dream! We're doing a 4-day cruise on it in April....I can't get enough info although DH says it's like seeing spoilers and he wants to be surprised smiley for :D

Salty on January 21, 2011 @ 10:52 pm
blank
Lilianna;3540382 >I'd like to know why 2 staterooms? Two different cruises. smiley for :) We just got back from the Christening Cruise (January 19-21), then Jennifer will be on the Inaugural (January 26-30). Meantime, the more stateroom types we can experience, the better. I'll be on a 4-nighter in an inside stateroom a couple of weeks from now, to wrap up our research (for now). So much ship, and all these itineraries are so short! We've been learning about the Magic and Wonder for the past ten years, and we have to try to learn everything about the Dream (and Fantasy) in just a few short cruises. And now that we've seen the Dream, it's clear the job is even bigger than we thought (but, oh what fun being able to learn it!).

Dave Marx on January 22, 2011 @ 4:10 pm
blank
Dave Marx;3544208 >Two different cruises. smiley for :) We just got back from the Christening Cruise (January 19-21), then Jennifer will be on the Inaugural (January 26-30). Meantime, the more stateroom types we can experience, the better. I'll be on a 4-nighter in an inside stateroom a couple of weeks from now, to wrap up our research (for now). So much ship, and all these itineraries are so short! We've been learning about the Magic and Wonder for the past ten years, and we have to try to learn everything about the Dream (and Fantasy) in just a few short cruises. And now that we've seen the Dream, it's clear the job is even bigger than we thought ( but, oh what fun being able to learn it !).

It's a tough job....... but somebody has to do it! Thanks Dave and Jennifer and Alex!

BettyBeBop on January 24, 2011 @ 9:22 pm
blank
We will be boarding this Sunday having just booked a few weeks ago. Hardly much time for anticipation, but not much time to wait either. Thank you for the preview, keep the reports coming, please.

- Susan

ps19966 on January 26, 2011 @ 1:16 am
blank
ps19966;3548177 >Do you know what the Dream was "doing" between the Christening and Inaugural cruises?

Yes. There were two cruises - a two-day fundraiser for Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Florida (over $750,000 raised), and the Disney travel agent Earmarked Conference.

Dave Marx on January 26, 2011 @ 4:58 pm
blankView all 25 comments in forum thread

So what do you think? Click here to share your comments, feedback, and experiences on this article and topic!

(Note: You must be a member of our PassPorter Message Board Community to leave comments. Join today for free!)

Updated 01-10-2011 - Article #562

Subscribe to our free e-mail newsletter, PassPorter News, published for more than 50,000 opt-in subscribers worldwide. As an added bonus for subscribing, you will receive a 20% discount coupon for the PassPorter Store -- no catch! We respect your privacy and never sell or rent our subscriber list.